Art book or text book? And a note on styles.

In writing and illustrating my book, A State of Change: Forgotten Landscapes of California (Heyday: 2010), I had originally intended it to be more of an art book, filled with pages of large oil paintings and field sketches. Something for the coffee table I had hoped. After four years of editing, the book turned out to be more text and somewhat less artwork, but Heyday did a wonderful job of creating a manageable, readable work from my unwieldy manuscript. Still a good art book, I thought.

A lot of artwork was left on the cutting room floor, however, and I am going to use it for my upcoming book on Oil Painting Landscapes and Nature. Here are a sampling of illustrations I had completed years ago as Chapter title pages for A State of Change. I am re-purposing them now as new Chapter titles for my current manuscript. As an aside, I have been accused of having too many artistic "styles." But I enjoy exploring different media, materials, and stylistic expressions. Why should an artist be restricted?

Here are samples of Chapter title illustrations, influenced by my admiration for Arts and Crafts styles (all colored pencil and ink on paper).





And I recently found a few new reviews of my book, from 2016 on Good Reads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9897882-state-of-change-a?from_search=true

Comments

  1. I'm very much impressed with the arts and crafts work you have shared. And great to see you are offering classes too. That's really great, Keep it up

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paleoart

Explosion of Interest in Block Diagrams

San Francisco Before the City